Want to know how Hollywood really works? Tales from the bottom about the world of filmmaking.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Rashomon Part II

Beverly Hills. 90211 (not 90210). Wilshire Blvd. Summertime. It is lunchtime. I’m  walking down the street with two co-workers. A Small Volkswagen headed west pulls up and stops next to us.

A young blonde woman is driving. (What is it with women and VW’s?) The second thing I notice is that the driver doesn’t roll down the window. She leans over the passenger seat and opens the door. I pay it no mind. I had been in other old cars where a window would no longer roll down and assumed she had the same problem.

She asks “Excuse me, do you know where 8484 Wilshire Blvd. is?” We were around the 8900 block so we knew she was close and told her so. She said that she had already been around the block but couldn’t find it.

Jon, one of my co-workers asks what company or corporation she was looking for. She said something in response, but her voice was low and it was inaudible. Jon continued, “I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you. What corporation or company are you looking for? It might help us pinpoint where you should go.”

Her voice was still soft, but this time I could audibly hear her say, “Hustler Magazine.” Her hushed voice had a slightly exasperated tone to it. One that exuded a sense of “Ugh. You’re going to make me say it, aren’t you.”

Jon then immediately knew where she was headed. “Oh you want the Larry Flynt Building.” It’s at the corner of La Cienega. About a mile down. You’ll see a big brown oval shaped building with a sign on it that says ‘Flynt Publications.’ You can’t miss it. On your right side.” She thanked us, closed her car door and drove away.

Later, while we were scarfing down our lunches, I ribbed Jon about how the heck does he know where Hustler Magazine is located. Then Dan, the third person in our group chimed in. “How about that? Notice how she threw her bust out so we could look down her dress?”

I wanted to reply. I was about to say that it was because she was leaning over the passenger seat because her window wouldn’t roll down. But Dan continued, “And She blurted, ‘Yeah. I’m looking for Hustler Magazine’ with no problem.”

At which point I thought, “Did you see the same woman I did?” She only asked for the address. She only mentioned Hustler when Jon asked her the company name. And at it was really meek. We didn’t even hear her the first time. She was totally embarrassed!  I wanted to interrupt Dan and correct his extremely faulty memory. But then another realization came over me.

In the half hour since we saw that girl, we were now hungrily eating our food. And I realized that right now that woman is probably buck naked, oiled down, lubed up, with a sleazy photographer shouting at her while another naked woman is...

I think you get the idea. I decided to let Dan have his fantasy. The reality is much more innocent – and at the same time much more debaucherous.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive